Why I use the web for my teaching
You may have noticed that I do not use Powerpoint to present information for teaching.
Some students like it, some don't like it. Here are some reasons why I do it:
- My teaching materials are available to anyone, anywhere in the world (not just via Moodle/BlackBoard)
- There are no files or documents; the information is all text and images, so it's smaller in kB, quicker to load
- When I update the information, it is instantly available: no need to replace any old files
- Links to articles, library, and other resources are easier to use than in documents
- Powerpoint slides don't work well on all computers, but most web-browsers follow the same rules
- Re-formatting information is easier in a web-page: you can stetch and squeeze the information as you are working
- For those who prefer documents and paper: I will place print-outs of the website on Moodle/BlackBoard
Please take some time to navigate this system. I welcome feedback!